Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Oxylice - Pyramid Symphony

Oxylice is another artist that I happen to come across while searching for new talent. And boy I was pleasantly surprised.

I have never actually been a big fan of the electro-trash genre but with Oxylice, he combines elements of dubstep and electro house to his tracks. This I find quite interesting and refreshing. There is not much known about the masked Belgian but the lad can definitely produce music alright. After hearing his track Stratos on YouTube I just had to get his EP Pyramid Symphony.

First off I think it is best to start with minor criticisms. I was a bit disappointed after hearing the track 42. I was so hyped up when I heard Stratos that I thought the other tracks would be just as great. 42 relies heavily on its distorted synths and the problem that I have with it is that there is not much variation. It pretty much carries on without anything changing and it becomes monotonous. Now I am not taking anything away from the production quality of the track, which is of an extremely high quality but that particular track just isn't on par with the rest of the EP in my opinion.
Now lets move on to the good stuff. Next up is Stratos. This is really quite an impressive track. It starts with a very simple melody which pretty much guides the whole direction of the track. Oxylice pretty much shows that you do not need intricate melodies to carry a track, stick to the basics and grow from there. The drop is one that works really well and the vocal sample combines perfectly with the electro - trash drop that follows it. This track is definitely one that is going to be an underground club banger.
Technical Difficulties is probably my favourite track off the EP. Again it starts with with a very simple yet effective melody that is accompanied with a crisp drum beat. Initially the track starts off in a very calm manner but it soon changes when the vocal samples come in and the heavily distorted drop blows up in your face. The drop will be a firm favourite with dubstep crowds and will no doubt have people raging with its distorted lines and wubs.
Overall this isn't a bad EP, in fact it is very enjoyable and it definitely showcases Oxylice's talent and producing prowess. I enjoyed it so much that I wished there were more original tracks on the EP. Now I
am not taking anything away from the remixes but I would have liked to see more of the lad's original tracks, he has an interesting style which I wanted to hear more of. Hopefully there is another EP in the works.

There is definitely a bright future ahead of Oxylice, the lad is talented and he is definitely on the right path. If you like your music more on the distorted side, then check out this EP, it's a banger.

Pyramid Symphony is off Jet Set Trash Records and also boasts with three remixes from Tim Tonik, Hantise and Divine X.

You can buy the EP off Beatport .

For more information on Oxylice, check out his Twitter, Facebook and
Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment