Saturday, March 16, 2013

Das Kapital - All Trades EP

Now, I have not always been a big fan of South Africa's bad boy producer Das Kapital but with the release of his remixes for Drumsound & Bassline Smith and Laidback Luke, the lad has gotten my attention.

I decided to take a leap of faith and get myself his All Trades EP off Do Work Recordings. Now let me tell you, I was not expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. 

Ol' Das has got it right to succeed with an experimental approach to this EP. Incorporating elements from dubstep, psy-trance, electro house and also deep house. A pretty broad spectrum to fill but he gets it right. 

The first track Amsterdam Rubberband with dutch producer Revero starts off as a seemingly generic house track but as soon as the drums and the samples kick in, it turns into a club banger. I like the fact that this track uses the less is more approach, there is not too much going on but it sounds so damn good. There is nothing better than a track that has a sick and simple beat to guide it through. 


The next track PSYCH! is an interesting one.I am not a big fan of psy-trance in fact I think it is a load of bollocks but as the track progresses elements of dubstep is being thrown into the equation, now this makes it very interesting. It adds another dimension to it which a typical psy- trance track would lack. It has that typical psy-trance drum beat but the synth work, sampling and layering just screams dubstep. The drop of this track sounds like a Koan Sound - ish production infused with The Prodigy sounds, which is always a winner.

The next track is a personal favourite, Reverse & Rewind feat Alex Mills is probably the most commercially viable track off the EP. This electro house track infuses deep house elements with a fierce electro drop. The vocals have been perfectly added and adds a very pop orientated dimension to it which just seems to fit in this track.

White Room feat Louis Blaise is also another interesting track. When I first started listening to it, it sounded like something that The Prodigy would release. It was a bit of a mind fuck at first but I got into the swing of things pretty quickly, it gets a bit repetitive after awhile because there is not much variation.
The Instrumental version of Reverse & Rewind is reminded me a lot of Mord Fustang's sound but with more of a deep house edge to it. I was definitely jamming to it because it is just so catchy.
I have to recommend ol' Das on his producing capabilities. It is of an exceptional quality for somebody that young. His producing skills exude a maturity that exceeds his years. All Trades is definitely one of the better Eps that I have listened to this year and it showcases Das Kapital's diversity and flexibility. The bloke really knows how to infuse different elements which are not normally used together. 

You can buy the EP on Beatport. You can also follow Das Kapital on Twitter, Soundcloud and Facebook.  


No comments:

Post a Comment