Sunday, March 17, 2013

Dead Audio - Night of the Living Dead Audio EP

To be honest I had no idea who these chaps were until like a week ago. I randomly stumbled upon them while checking out Beatport.

I decided to check out the preview of the first track Blizzard and I was hooked as soon as the drums started to kick in. So I decided to grab the album and listen to it as an entirety and do some research on them.

Dead Audio consists of Tom Atkinson and Luke Fenn. These chaps have been around the block and have quite a distinguished musical background. The lads have worked with the likes of Miley Cyrus and Yasmin and have also been remixing for heavyweights like Pendulum, Borgore and Modestep. Not too shabby for a group that is not too well known. I was pretty impressed that these lads are signed to Buygore Records and have already released a single last year called Take Me Away

Let's just say that, listening to their EP was one of the better decisions I made that day, The EP was on repeat for most of the week and I just can't get enough of it. I love it when I come across an EP that combines melodic progressions with insane production skills and fierce sounding synths. 

The first track Blizzard serves as a good intro for the rest of the EP. At first I was a bit confused with the Alvin and the Chipmunk sounding intro but as soon as the melody and the drums started to kick in, I found myself raving along in the first 30 seconds. It is an electro house track and the vocal sample is hilarious and serves as a great buildup to the drop. 
Now let me tell you, the drop really impressed me. It was melodic, laser infused and didn't irritate me with all that's going on in it. I was pretty impressed that the lads got it right to combine so many elements without it sounding too much. Props to them.  

The second track is called Diamonds feat. Shay. This dubstep track starts off as a real grimy banger, the vocal loop serves as a perfect catch phrase and will get you dancing and head-banging in no time. Then suddenly the tempo increases and the drop causes all mayhem, again laser infused with perfectly added vocal snippets. 


The rap part serves as a great way to bring down the velocity and calm down things a bit but it gives you enough time to build up the energy for the next drop which also hits you like a bang. The only problem that I have with this track that it gets quite repetitive after awhile and I would have liked to see some variation in the second and third drop. 

The third track Goin' In is my personal favourite. The intro reminded me of something that you would hear in a SAVOY track, It has this amazing tempo to it which is just so smooth. With the arpeggio melody and the great synth work, I knew this track is going to be an absolute banger. I wouldn't classify this track as electro house, I would rather say it is a moombahton track infused with electro house elements. The drop is definitely a hybrid moomba drop which incorporates a lot of standard electro house elements but the drums are definitely moomba inspired. 


The track Running Feat. Sam Hardcastle is a dubstep track that ends off this powerhouse EP and what I like about it is that it doesn't waste it any time to get down into the drop. It shows that you don't have to have 2min long intro's before you get to the buildup.

What I love about Dead Audio's style is that they combine grime with melody which is such a lethal and extremely difficult thing to do. It just shows that their producing abilities are on a very high standard and it's refreshing from the generic grimy tracks which are spewed out on a daily basis by other producers. 

This is definitely an EP worth buying, it has all the elements that any EDM lover would love to listen to. 

Buy the EP off Beatport or follow them on Twitter, Facebook and Soundcloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment