Thursday, March 28, 2013

Donkong - JAWZ EP

I am not entirely sure how I came across this group but I clicked on something and then I found myself on their Soundcloud page. I digged their profile picture so I was like what the hell, lets listen to one of their tracks. 

I had no idea that they are a group that deals primarily in Trap. Now let me tell you, I hate Trap. I think it's the worst thing in the EDM scene at the moment. But this German group really surprised me and I have started to question my stance on the whole Trap genre. 

Donkong's JAWZ EP is signed to Reid Speed's record label Play Me Too. Now this in itself impressed me because Play Me have always released quality tracks and always find the most talented producers. 

So I said a silent prayer to the bass gods and decided to get myself the EP. Let me tell you, the bass gods answered my prayer. The two track EP blew my mind. I found myself bouncing along to it and its been on repeat for awhile now. 

The first track is JAWZ. The intro melody is directly linked to the famous movie theme and it serves as an intro and buildup before the drop. When those claps and the vocal snippets enter I just knew this drop is going ravage things. And good God was I right. What I dig about this track is that it infuses dubstep elements with the typical trap bounce. This is quite a lethal combination and works so well. 

I must praise the lads ability to add grimy baselines to the track. It is mint as hell. Another cool thing about this track is that the 2nd drop is different from the 1st and the 3rd is different from the 2nd. Such variation just makes me really happy. There are too many tracks out there that are too monotonous and don't push the boundaries. Props to Donkong for going past that.

The 2nd track is Beamer. It starts off with as a typical trap track, the staccato notes with that infamous drum beat. But what really got me about this track is the dubstep drop that is present. It is quite a heavy drop for a trap track but it works so well and serves as a great balance for the bouncy trap feeling that the rest of the track has. 
I must say, not too shabby eh. This EP is extremely enjoyable and the production quality is sublime. Donkong's brand of 'molly grit' is definitely something that has gotten my attention. I can't wait for future releases from them. 

The EP is available on Beatport.

Follow Donkong on TwitterFacebook , Soundcloud and YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment