Friday, April 12, 2013

Liar - Alpha EP

This EP has had a lasting effect on me.

I have never been into the whole trap genre but when it is described as being post trap infused with future garage and minimalist elements? Well then I will sit up and pay attention.

So I checked out this Romanian artist on Soundcloud. Never heard of this bloke before but by God he is talented. It has been awhile since I have listened to an EP that is so well produced and so interesting, it is really something new. Making use of weird elements that do not normally go together and combining them to create such awesome music. 

The first track - Tequila Mockingbird - is probably the best track off the album. The title in itself is so brilliant that it caught my attention immediately. The track features North American producer and DJ Druid Cloak. The track has all the elements of a banger, choral sections, melancholic vocals, a heavy bass drop and that poignant minimalist feeling and tempo to it. As soon as i listened to this track with my headphones, the drop and the heavy bass just blew my head off. 

Alpha is the title and the next track on the EP. This is quite an interesting track. Interesting in the sense that it uses Ciara's Get Up vocal snippet as the main vocal breakdown. This really works well with the hip hop feel. This track actually reminds me of a post moomba track infused with trap elements. I love these weird combinations, keeps things interesting. 

Honey Trap is the third track off the EP. To be totally honest, it isn't my favourite track but it does have some great aspects to it. I really love the drums in this track, its heavy and goes so well with the industrial minimalist feel of the rest of the track. Combine with the a typical trap drop, it makes for a pretty catchy song. But this is also the reason why it doesn't sit well with me, I have heard too many trap songs that use this effect and it has become quite boring to me. But take nothing away from the song, it is extremely well produced and will be a firm favourite with Trap enthusiasts. 
The EP also boasts with remixes from future-garage heavyweight ViLLΛGE and also Fuckowfski.

To buy the EP visit the Origami Sound site. 

For more information on Liar check out - Soundcloud, Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment