Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal

I have decided to move away from the EDM scene for the moment and focus on this gem of an album. 

I have gone back to my metal roots with Bring Me The Horizon's new album Sempiternal. Now I know you are probably having a fanny wobble with hearing the term "metal" but let me tell you, this album is simply exceptional.

In the last couple of years I have had this love - hate relationship with the metal genre. With previous releases just not being on par and bands just not trying anything new, I frankly got sick of all the albums that were being released. But 2013 has started off with a real bang, with new releases by heavyweights Killswitch Engage and expected new albums from Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, Behemoth, Satyricon, Children of Bodom and even Slayer! It is bound to be quite an exciting year in the metal scene. 

Let's get down and dirty with Sempiternal. I only got into the whole BMTH vibe with their album Suicide Season, I was also one of those people that thought the band was utter shit without giving them a chance. I took a leap of faith with Suicide Season and I haven't looked back since. 

BMTH is definitely a band that just gets better and better with every release. It is every evident that as they get older, their sound matures. In juxtaposition with their earlier albums like Count Your Blessings, it sounds like two different bands. The BMTH on Count Your Blessings was all over the place, really focusing on the teen infused Deathcore scene. The BMTH discography should really be seen as the band's evolution as musicians. 


The thing that really impressed me and has always impressed me is the lyrical finesse that the band has. They could be seen as one of the voices for their generation. The ability to write lyrics that are catchy yet poignant is a an art that very few musicians have mastered.

The other element that really attracted me to the new album is the incorporation of more electronic elements. In my honest opinion it fits the band's style perfectly because it provides a well balanced and harmonious contrast to the heavy guitar riffs, technical drum work and the harsh vocal work. Jordan Fish has definitely been the missing link. 

I believe that the electronic aspect works so well for BMTH because their guitar work does not depend on its technicality and guitar solos like many other bands. The fact that there is no such pressure it opens a space for another instrument to create the rounding, background effect. The keyboard doesn't detract from the other instruments but it is also not overpowered by the drums and guitar. BMTH have got it right to create a perfect balance between ambience and metal. 

I really can't fault this album. This was one of the very few albums that I have listened to from start to finish without skipping any songs. BMTH have definitely set the bar for 2013 releases. Metal bands need to take note because this album is definitely in a class of its own.

Best tracks off the album in my opinion - Can you feel my heart, Sleepwalking, Shadow Moses, Crooked Young and The House of Wolves. 

Album is released off RCA Records

Check out the official Bring Me The Horizon website for more information on the band.

2 comments:

  1. This was a really great review for a really great album. I like that you've stepped outside your usual boundaries and reviewed something totally different, but that has enough cross-over appeal to bring in fans of EDM as well

    ReplyDelete